Friday, July 7, 2017

National Strawberry Sundae and Chocolate Day!!!




The film that set a little Southern girl on the path to burgeoning womanhood. (Not literally!)             No one has ever made a piece of fruit look more sensual, forbidden and tempting.  Except for perhaps, Eve and the apple. Or the pomegranate, depending on which version you believe.

My love for this film gave me my nickname (and years later, my username.) I actually looked for dairymaid jobs in the newspaper that summer. 

 If you have not seen it, please do. TESS (1979) Now available in the Criterion Collection.

IπŸ’“ strawberries. Not only are they delicious, they are wonderful for you!
They are a perfect source of Vitamin C and laboratory tests have shown them to have anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties. They are also very low in calories.

I love strawberry preserves, 
and strawberry ice cream and frozen yogurt and unfrozen yogurt with fresh berries makes a delicious breakfast!


But I have never been a fan of either strawberry pie or chocolate covered strawberries.


I do a strawberry exfoliating facial that is very complicated, very expensive, and very time-consuming so you might want to write this down. (it is actually none of those. I do love to tease you!)

STRAWBERRY EXFOLIATING FACIAL
***********************************
Wash your face as usual.
Cut one strawberry in half (usually the one that looks a bit sad, but not sad enough to be discarded, but not the moldy one!
Rub the cut end of the berry all over face (not too close to your eyes though because the citric acid does burn sensitive areas!) and neck, elbows and hands. Let dry. Rinse with cool water and pat dry. 
You can also mash up the berry with a tablespoon of plain yogurt.
I usually do this while sitting in the bathtub so sometimes I forget to rinse it off and when I get out and look in the mirror it is a bit of a shock because it looks a little gory. Anyone seeing you will say "What happened?" with a stricken look on their face but you will have fresh baby skin after you rinse.

(DISCLAIMER: Do NOT do this facial if you are allergic to strawberries!)

I also wash and dry all of my strawberry leaves and save them in a jar. You can make a tea from them which acts as a natural diuretic. 2 Tablespoons of dried leaves in a large cup, cover with boiling water.
Let steep,strain and drink.

(DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor. I think you already knew that.)



We used to have this cookie jar when I was a child, in fact our entire kitchen was strawberries, but it was accidently broken a long time ago by "someone".
Possibly, this little person.
No, this is not me. (Or is it?)



CHOCOLATE DAY!
**************************************


Chocolate. Nothing soothes, calms, or lifts your spirits as well as this decadent yet saintly substance.
Did you know that chocolate is actually a vegetable? It comes from the cacao trees that grow in tropical rain forests. So, chocolate is healthy,good for you, and children (and grown men) should be encouraged to eat their vegetables, the best being chocolate!

I love brownies, chocolate chip cookies and chocolate ice cream and I made these for a dinner party once. Molten Lava cakes. They were a lot of work and not really worth it. Chocolate cake made with mayonnaise is much easier and far more appreciated.






I was weaned on See's Candies. Every holiday and special occasion saw one of the sacred white boxes brought forth from their secret hiding place (we were unapologetic chocoholics and could not be trusted with the box within our reach on a daily basis) and we were allowed to choose two pieces before it was taken away again. It is still my favorite chocolate, Cadbury being second with Nestle Toll House semi- sweet morsels being my baking chocolate of choice. I have tried many others but these three remain my favorites.


One Christmas, the precious package was left out on the dining room table and we returned home to find a trail of little brown fluted paper cups leading to my mother's bedroom where we found our 120lb. Great Pyrenees dog lying in the middle of the bed, surrounded by more little brown fluted paper cups and a slightly chewed white box. She had eaten every single piece of the two pound box. No dog ever looked so innocent. Or more satisfied.

Contrary to the belief that chocolate is poisonous to dogs, she did not die. She was not even sick.
But we were.

(DISCLAIMER: I am not a veterinarian. But you already knew that.)

Interesting Note: This is the same dog who once ate two whole, raw chickens, bones and all. 
(Apparently, she did not share my love of FRIED chicken.)



As my  contribution to Strawberry Sundae Day and Chocolate Day, I made these little frozen yogurt sundaes and a batch of chocolate chip cookies.






I found this picture (and the recipe) while looking for others for this post. TURTLE BROWNIES!   (do not contain turtle). Chocolate, caramel and pecans. My personal holy trinity. I will be making these at the first possible opportunity.

Heaven help us. Oh, yes!

                                                                                                           Tess🌷

2 comments:

  1. Chocolate cake made with... mayonnaise?

    A few years back, during a party at my house, my cat ate a whole chocolate brownie. There was an expensive Animal Poison Control phone call. Little furry jerk slept it off, none the worse for wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must try it!

      Your pussycat sounds like a character! When I was a child I had a cat who loved butter, cheese, and vanilla ice cream. It made his coat very shiny and he won a lot of ribbons at the local pet shows (for heaviest cat, shiniest coat,etc.)

      Delete

πŸ‘‰If you cannot say something nice, then please do not say anything at all. Thank you. πŸ˜ŠπŸ’•πŸ˜‰

Featured Post

YOU FOUND US !!!

WELCOME former IMDb  message board compatriots and hopefully some new fans of  yours truly. We , being My Tess  ,or Tess d'Urbervill...