Thursday, July 6, 2017

National Fried Chicken Day!!! (Oh, Yes!!!)

                             
               

I LOVE fried chicken! That is probably not an unusual thing for a Southern girl to confess, I admit, but I truly do. As more than half of all chicken entrees ordered in restaurants are for fried chicken, I am certain that I am not alone in this. I make it often, order it in restaurants (not only to check out the competition, but because I am truly in love with it) and when it is too hot to cook, I send someone (I do not drive) to pick some up. 

So, I think it is perfectly fitting that my all-time favorite (savory) food has been given it's own holiday and so to celebrate, I fried a chicken (actually,two). Isn't it pretty? I think so. I am not given to bragging about my cooking, but if there is one thing I am certain of, it is that I do know how to fry a chicken.

I refuse to feel guilty about the calories (I swim every day and do a ballet barre workout and practice hula/tahitian dancing three times a week) and there are countless other things I can "give up" if I have to in order to account for my poultry indulgences. This is also why I have never owned chickens. Geese, yes. Chickens, no. I have never eaten goose and I never intend to so I do not have to feel guilty. I also enjoy "Babe" several times a year with a clear conscience because I do not eat any pork products. I still have to go out of my way in the grocery store to avoid the lobster tank though. Not because I have ever eaten a lobster, which I have not, but because I always get an insane urge to put them all into my cart and drive like crazy for the nearest ocean. This is one of the reasons that I have my groceries delivered. Asked what I wanted for my birthday one year when I was a child, my mother says that I asked for lobsters. I did not receive them. My significant other orders seafood risotto and I shudder because the menu says it contains baby lobster tail. BABY LOBSTER TAIL!!! 😲How could this otherwise kind and gentle man do such a thing? And with such obvious relish? It sends a chill up my spine. 

I know, my reasoning is strange. How do I scold him and then enjoy the fried grown up version of fuzzy yellow baby chicks? I do not know. Perhaps I should be ashamed of myself but then I have never raised a fuzzy yellow baby chick into a chicken. If I had, I know I would feel quite differently about it. I was a vegetarian some years back for health reasons and I craved fried chicken like crazy. I tried using the same batter on eggplant, potatoes, zucchini, tofu and Portobello mushrooms, but alas, although very good "substitutes" for a sworn vegetarian, nothing came close for me. So eventually, I went back to chicken.



I also made deviled eggs. But while the chicken may be a "sin", the eggs are not because I buy them every week from our local farmers market from an organic farm that does not keep a single rooster on their property,(yes I have been there and it is true) thus ensuring that the eggs they sell are never fertilized (no baby chicks). So I eat them (five a day) with a clear conscience. 

Now, if I could only get the batter to stay on the egg, I would be set.

                                                                                                            Tess🌷

I had to add this!
This is what I want for my birthday next year!
( I am going to find a reason to make one before that. But with cream gravy.)

2 comments:

  1. This blog never fails to make me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, how sweet. Thank you for that lovely compliment,Major.
      You made my day!

      Delete

πŸ‘‰If you cannot say something nice, then please do not say anything at all. Thank you. πŸ˜ŠπŸ’•πŸ˜‰

Featured Post

YOU FOUND US !!!

WELCOME former IMDb  message board compatriots and hopefully some new fans of  yours truly. We , being My Tess  ,or Tess d'Urbervill...