Sunday, February 26, 2017

THE ACADEMY AWARDS !


Tomorrow is Oscar Night. Tess and I will be watching, in fact we're throwing a little shindig for a few friends and family members. A cozy little affair for which Tess will be making some of her best (in)famous snacks and nibbles πŸ˜‹and I will be playing host and bartender serving up libations and concoctions to accompany them.

Having the advantage of Academy screener videos (Tess: Don't brag, honey. Me: I'm not bragging, I'm only stating the truth. Tess: πŸ˜”) we have seen everything from the ten Best Picture nominees to the entries for Best Animated Short. In all honesty, it's a pretty sorry lot. (Tess is still fuming that Rogue One was only nominated in two categories and did not receive a nod for Best Editing )But that's only the opinion of two people who have seen more movies than we care to count and so we like to think we know what we're talking about ( Tess: Be nice,honey.  Me: I WAS nice,Sweetie !)

So, have you seen any (or all) of the nominated films? Will you be watching the show ? Are you having a party ? Going to a party ? Boycotting the entire thing because your favorite movie wasn't nominated this year ? (I don't blame you. ) The party was Tess' idea and well, I seldom refuse her anything (mostly because she seldom asks for anything) If you knew her, you probably couldn't  refuse her either. But I made the guest list and set the dress code (Comfortable ! Me: No, Sweetheart. Tuxedos are NOT comfortable ! Tess: But you look so handsome in a suit ! Me: I don't look handsome in jeans and a flannel shirt ? Tess: Of course you do ! But no baseball cap.Please ? Me: Oh, alright,but I'm wearing sweats to our wedding. Tess: (faints)   Me:  I was kidding!  (πŸ˜‰)

TESS'  "CRAB" CAKES
********************************* 

8oz. cream cheese (room temperature)
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese ,divided
1 large egg
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tsp orange zest
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (or any bread crumbs that you prefer)
2 cups cooked flaked crab (substitute imitation crab or pollock, or cod if you prefer)
1/3 finely chopped celery
1/3 cup chopped onion ,any type (optional)
1/2 tsp. mustard
1 Tbs. lemon juice
2 Tbs. chopped parsley (fresh or dried)
1/2 tsp. sea salt 
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 cup butter, melted
Creole seasoning to your own taste (optional)

1 1/2  cups panko bread crumbs (these work the best but you can use regular bread crumbs if you wish)

Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese in a bowl until smooth, add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and the egg and beat to blend. Beat in the seasonings,herbs,sour cream, and citrus zest. Fold in the crabmeat or substitute. ( Chill at least two hours or overnight.)

Spray mini muffin tins with nonstick spray of your choice. I use olive oil. Mix together 1/2 cups of bread crumbs, and 3/4 cup parmesan cheese.Slowly pour a stream of melted butter over and toss until the mixture is evenly moistened. put 1 Tbs. of the panko/cheese mixture in the bottom of each tin and press your thumb to make an indentation, put a good tablespoon of the crab mixture on top, sprinkle
more panko mixture over the top of each. 

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes until golden. Cool for five minutes. Use a fork to gently release each cake from the tins. Put on a serving platter with spinach or dark lettuce leaves surrounding a small bowl of dipping sauce. Tartar or cocktail sauce is best. Can be rewarmed on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 3-5 minutes.

And to sip while you're nibbling:

TheChamCham Cocktail (not affiliated with any other Cham Cham cocktails out there)
***********************************************************************
In a punch bowl :Your favorite champagne poured over fresh pomegranate jewels or bottled pomegranate juice, thin slices of lime and sprinkled with rose petals or other edible flowers (pansies, sweet peas,) Serve over crushed ice or not. (Strictly for the ladies) . Personally, I prefer a Guinness or a good Argentinian wine. Cheers.πŸ˜‰

10 comments:

  1. Hope your Oscar party was a success. It sounded like fun. I'm sure the crab cakes and other goodies were all devoured. ��.��.����
    I thought the show went pretty smoothly until that fiasco at the end. ��
    Did any of your favorites win? I wanted "La La Land" or "Manchester by the Sea" to win best picture. Didn't see "Moonlight", so can't comment on that.
    The fashions are my favorite part of the whole thing... some are very pretty, and some just leave me rolling my eyes.πŸ™„

    ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about all the question marks in the previous post. They were supposed to be emoticons and appeared as such in the preview. Looks like only one turned out correctly. It's back to the drawing board. ��

    ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love fondue! With my parents being Dutch , I grew up with it practically every Christmas or New Years! We usually have meat one in oil with sauces and French bread. Even had a traditional cheese one in Switzerland. All the recipes look great!
    No interest in watching the Oscars here. Back to binge watching Outlander as I recover from my foot surgery yesterday. Would love to see Brendan in a Scottish period drama, those accents make me weak in the knees!! Blessings, Freesia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Freesia, glad to have you here! I wonder where the others are (crickets chirping, a wolf howls in the distance, a tumbleweed blows by). Scottish,eh? Hmm. He can do the accent, but I don't know how he would feel about the kilt. I hope your foot doesn't hurt too much. Get well soon and don't be a stranger.

      Delete
  4. Thanks! Its finally healing. Sutures were driving me crazy! So itchy. I would love to see photos of your Oscar party! :). Wearing sweats or flannels! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tess says lavender, oatmeal, or olive oil soap for the itching but that the itching is good because it meant that your skin was healing. My little apothecary. Sorry, no photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I have been using my essential oils and handmade organic balm. As it turns out I am allergic to the nylon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friends and I try to get together (in person or via online chat) every year to watch the Oscars, so it's a bit of a tradition for me.

    I loved Moonlight and was thrilled that it won. Cinematographically speaking, it was stunning, and it's a story that's not been told before. I liked La La Land but not Ryan Gosling's character so much. Chris Pine should have gotten a nomination for Hell or high water, I feel, over Affleck or Gosling. Speaking of Hell or High Water, what a fantastic movie. Bonus mention to Arrival. I found Manchester by the sea tough to watch. I don't think I'll be revisiting it again in the future.

    Please excuse the long post, I'm a movie nerd. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome MajorMajor,
    Don't apologize for the "long" post.That's fine !

    ReplyDelete

πŸ‘‰If you cannot say something nice, then please do not say anything at all. Thank you. πŸ˜ŠπŸ’•πŸ˜‰

Featured Post

YOU FOUND US !!!

WELCOME former IMDb  message board compatriots and hopefully some new fans of  yours truly. We , being My Tess  ,or Tess d'Urbervill...