Sunday, March 19, 2017

ST. PATRICK'S DAY

The "Busy Bee",as I like to call him, has handed over today's post to me. I hope you do not mind.


 TheChamCham and I are both Irish on our mothers' side and as I like to celebrate just about every holiday you can think of, we had a little celebration beginning with breakfast.
                            I know,I know, it IS fattening, but it is only once in a while. I promise he will be getting fruit and yogurt for the rest of the week.

Next, movies ! We watched THE SECRET OF ROAN INISH



It is a lovely film directed by John Sayles.It is one of those films that is hard to describe but I shall try. It takes place in Donegal,Ireland, the story of a family with a strange,yet magical connection with the sea, an island, and the seals who have lived there going back many generations. If you like quiet Irish films (I do) and happy endings (I do) , then I think that you will like it. I  have the soundtrack and I play it quite often when I am cooking. Jenny Courtney and Richard Sheridan (Fiona and Eamon) are both very good, especially considering that it was the first film for both of them. I also liked the grandparents Hugh and Tess (!) played by Mick Lally and Eileen Colgan. The cinematography is beautiful ( you cannot go wrong with Haskell Wexler). I only wish that I could find a recipe for that seaweed soup !


Next, we watched THE QUIET MAN.

The John Ford classic with a good story, wonderful performances from John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Barry Fitzgerald, Victor McLaglen, Mildred Natwick and many others. The scenery is beautiful, the art direction and cinematography are lovely (although, I wish Maureen O'Hara's costumes had been prettier). If you have never seen this film then I hope that you will and if you have, why not watch it again? 

Next, Dinner !!!
                                               IRISH STEW (I forgot to sprinkle the fresh chopped parsley before I took the picture.) I make it with beef ,but of course lamb is traditional. 
                                              IRISH SODA BREAD (Yummy warm with butter)

                                 TheChamCham loves his Guinness.  I prefer apple juice.

We ended the evening's entertainment with the original CELTIC WOMAN concert. And then.......


                                                                     DESSERT !     
                         
                           CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH BAILEY'S IRISH CREAM FROSTING.
                                                                        AND COFFEE.            


                              May you be in Heaven half an hour before the Devil knows that you are dead.

                                                                 SLAINTE.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, that must be what they call a full English breakfast-- emphasis on FULL.
    Everything looks delicious , especially the cake. 🎂
    Was wishing I hadn't seen it though.
    I kept thinking about going to the store to buy one,
    but I resisted.🤐 😉


    emoticons or question marks...which will it be ? 🌹 🍀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything was delicious! ( It was turkey bacon and turkey sausage if that makes you feel better and I've been swimming every day since!) Why resist ? Life is uncertain, eat dessert first !

    ReplyDelete
  3. 😁 No judgement here.
    I love a big breakfast, (minus the eggs).
    But as for turkey bacon....
    " I don't always eat bacon, but when I do, I prefer the real thing." 🥓 🐖

    It's nice that Tess is looking out for you and can adjust recipes to make them healthier. 👍🏻

    🌹

    ReplyDelete
  4. Healthier ? Well that too, but the eating of "BABE" is strictly forbidden in this household! I really hope they never make a movie about an adorable talking fish. What ? "Finding who ?" Shhh! Nobody tell her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get it about not wanting to eat any of "Babe's" species.

    I REALLY like " Babe" too, but I REALLY, REALLY like bacon, and I don't indulge in it very often (honestly). So in this particular situation, I'm gonna have to go with the �� BACON over �� BACON.

    I know that sounds cold-hearted.
    It's been years since I've seen the movie, and with time, devotion sometimes fades (except for certain favorite movies & actors) ��

    I have enjoyed the pictures and details of St. Patty's Day,
    and all the other interesting posts.

    *******************************************************************
    "There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."--- Oscar Wilde ��
    �� ( I'm not sure I agree with that )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watch it every couple of months so it stays fresh in our minds. Tess has wanted a baby pig all her life and I would love to get one for her, but where we live now it isn't possible. We're thinking of moving to a little farm in the near future (she's wearing me down) so I think her dream is close to coming true.
      They say that bacon is responsible for more vegetarians turning back to meat and more diet failures than any other food (I would think chocolate would be in the running for the latter) so you are not alone.
      Re: The quote. I'm absolutely certain that I don't agree with that !

      Delete
  6. That would be really nice if you could find a little farm .
    There's a lot to be said about living in an area where there aren't ordinances against everything (like where I live).

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love our 10 acre farm here in the PNW. We even have California creek running along the property and have seen salmon in it! We planted a 40 fruit free orchard and have berries galore! Took a break from chickens. I am working on breaking hubby down to get ducks. 🦆
    💐 Freesia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your farm sounds wonderful, Freesia! I am still working on TheChamCham to move to one of our own. Have you thought of geese? Scrumptious eggs, egg shells and feathers for craft projects, the best fertilizer in the world and guard dogs that put most dogs to shame. I love them and raised them and would like to again but because of a childhood incident (that he obviously survived),my darling one says no. We'll see.

      Delete

👉If you cannot say something nice, then please do not say anything at all. Thank you. 😊💕😉

Featured Post

YOU FOUND US !!!

WELCOME former IMDb  message board compatriots and hopefully some new fans of  yours truly. We , being My Tess  ,or Tess d'Urbervill...