Thursday, May 25, 2017

NATIONAL TAP DANCE DAY !

Today is National Tap Dance Day. As a child, up until my early teens, I was a tap dancer. Yes, I admit it. I also did the Hula and Tahitian dancing (actually, I still do for exercise and the occasional performance for a very special audience of one who shall remain nameless), but that is another story.

I thought it would be fitting to honor a list of my favorite tap dancers with a little history and a few photos and videos.

BILL "BOJANGLES" ROBINSON  May 25 🎂1878- November 25, 1949



Beginning his long career in minstrel shows,Bill Robinson appeared in vaudeville, on Broadway, and in Hollywood films (four with Shirley Temple) as well as radio and television.








Here is a clip from The Littlest Rebel (1934)

FRED ASTAIRE May 10, 1899-June 22, 1987

Fred Astaire began his long career partnering his older sister Adele in vaudeville, on Broadway, and the London stage until 1932 when Adele married and became Lady Cavendish and the team went their separate ways. Eventually, Hollywood beckoned, Fred made 31 films, ten with Ginger Rogers, and the rest is history.

Here is a clip from Top Hat (1935).


GINGER ROGERS July 16, 1911- April 25, 1995
Also began her career in vaudeville, moved to Broadway and then onto Hollywood where she excelled in drama, comedy, and musical films (ten with Fred Astaire) winning a Best Actress Academy Award for Kitty Foyle (1941) ,as well as television and radio appearances










Here is a clip from The Barkleys of Broadway (1949) the last pairing of Ginger and Fred where she clearly proves that she could tap with the best of them.

SHIRLEY TEMPLE April 23, 1928-February 10, 2014


Shirley Temple began her career at the age of three in the Baby Burlesks and Frolics of Youth shorts and small but stand out roles in Red-Haired Alibi (1932) and Stand Up and Cheer (1933) with James Dunn, She became an international star after Little Miss Marker (1934) and Baby Take a Bow (1934)  also opposite James Dunn ,
who she would work with once more in Bright Eyes (1934). From 1935-1938 she was the #1 Box Office Star and President Franklin D.Roosevelt declared that her films had helped America through the Great Depression.

Here is another clip from "The Littlest Rebel" (1935) with Bill Robinson.

And last, but by no means least.......................

ARTHUR DUNCAN September 25, 1933 -

Mr. Duncan entered show business at the ripe old age of thirteen. He later toured with The Jimmy Rodgers Show and hosted his own television variety show in Australia. After several years performing in Europe, he was discovered by Lawrence Welk's manager and offered a guest appearance on Mr. Welk's television show. Mr. Duncan proved so popular that he was offered a permanent place with Welk's "family" of regular entertainers and from 1964 until 1982 he could be seen every Sunday night tapping his heart out.

My family never missed The Lawrence Welk show and Mr Duncan was definitely my favorite,

Here is a clip of this wonderful artiste.

Where are my tap shoes today? I have no idea. I put in a call to my mother (who, like most mothers ,including her own, had hoped to have given birth to the next Shirley Temple, but alas, had not). She said she had no idea, but did I want her to send them to me if she found them ? No, I replied, wondering why she had not bronzed them like my other baby shoes, first riding boots, and first high heels. Apparently, she had been too disappointed.

 Oh well, I doubt they would still fit me anyway. 🌷

No comments:

Post a Comment

👉If you cannot say something nice, then please do not say anything at all. Thank you. 😊💕😉

Featured Post

YOU FOUND US !!!

WELCOME former IMDb  message board compatriots and hopefully some new fans of  yours truly. We , being My Tess  ,or Tess d'Urbervill...